Wednesday 16 May 2012

Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

Do you know who Robert Plant is?  Good.  And Alison Krauss?  Even better.  Do you remember 2007's Raising Sand, which won five Grammys and was pretty much the best thing released back then?  I hope so.  Though "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" is Alison and all Alison, there are plenty of songs with Mr. Plant's vocals that are worth seeing.  However, today's track came to me via my neighbor when she handed up mix CDs as favours at a birthday party.  Call it a sentimental song if you want, but "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" comes before all others.

With light percussion and delicate plucking of the guitar, "Sister Rosetta" first comes off as something strange, something you probably haven't heard.  Alison Krauss also cements the fact that she's a phenomenal vocalist, crooning strange things are happening every day, I hear the music up above my head, though the side of my heart has left me again, I hear music up above among other fantastic lyrics.  Listening to this one song from Raising Sand shows the listener why this won five Grammys and knocked everyone else out of the running.  Could we really have it any other way?

No comments:

Post a Comment