Sunday 6 May 2012

Wildflower - Sheryl Crow

I'm back on a little bit of a country kick this Sunday afternoon, but Sheryl Crow's lovely Wildflower was more of a delicate pop album than a pure country one.  I've long been a casual fan, having her self-titled 1996 release in my library as well.  Though Wildflower got mixed reviews from most, I quite enjoyed it, and have been enjoying tracks like "Where Has All The Love Gone" and "Chances Are" since 2005.  But it's the title track that's the kicker.

"Wildflower" is a quiet acoustic track where Sheryl's voice and some impressive lyrics are the stars.  Here we are, burning faster than the closest star, falling back down to the Earth, I love you so, it sometimes hurts.  It's delicate (my new buzzword, if you haven't noticed) and minimal (an old favourite); therefore, exactly what I like it my music.  It's country music without the country, and pop without the pop.  A happy medium that translates in "Wildflower."  Well done, Sheryl.

No comments:

Post a Comment