Friday 4 May 2012

Nightwish - Planet Hell

I'm going to be off to the magical land of Niagara Falls tomorrow, and will likely not have time to blog.  So instead, as a small gift to my dedicated followers and those who just stop in for a visit while they're in the neighborhood, I'm going to feature a song one day early.  Yes, I know, I'm insane.  So sue me.  This month it's my goal to have a post for everyday, and I'll do it by any means possible.

Now, to the reason why we're all here.  Nightwish.  If you've been around here for a while, you might be tired of me throwing them in your face.  My advice?  Have a glass of wine and relax a little, you crazy bastard.  There's no denying that this collective is one of the big guns.  The veterans.  The ones you can't help but love.  "Planet Hell" is an oldie of theirs that came to me via Youtube, with Annette taking over Tarja's vocal parts.  I'm going to get into a Tarja vs. Annette bit soon, so brace yourselves, trolls of the internet.  As a whole, "Planet Hell" is something different.  It's something that bridges the operatic feel of symphonic metal with everything else in the book.

As for the ladies, I honestly can't say I prefer one version over the other.  Tarja has that voice to lean on, and her vocal battle with Marco has that contrast I like to see in metal.  However, Annette breathes new life into "Planet Hell," giving it more of a modern edge that allows the heavier metal fans to fall in love.  When it comes down to the nitty-gritty of the matter, I'm an Annette-o-phile, but they're even here.  Maybe for ten minutes, you could give both a listen, and allow yourself to tour the underworld.  Save yourself, I'm headed for the ferryman.

Also, give Julius some props for the drums.  Holla.



No comments:

Post a Comment