Tuesday 1 May 2012

Fear of the Dark - Van Canto

I usually don't condone covering an Iron Maiden song unless you want the full force of my wrath to ensue.  Cradle of Filth got away with it, though I'm going to say now that it's difficult to cover one of the greatest bands to ever exist while not trying to ruin it.  You have to be unique, but still stay true to what the men of Iron Maiden were trying to do.  Why not give it a run by going a capella?  I was browsing through Van Canto songs and found that the collective covered "Fear of the Dark."So I gave it a go, and the rest is history.

Van Canto's "Fear of the Dark" might take some getting used to if you're a diehard Iron Maiden fan, but it'll grow on you, I promise.  Here, you have a different flavor on an old favourite (1992 was a good year, after all).  There are no guitars, only vocals that are meant to sound like there are.  No, they really only sound realistic during vocal stretches, but it's an interesting way of going about things.  I'm also a big fan of turning this into a male-female duet of sorts; you know I love that contrast.

Maybe I'm just too excited to see Iron Maiden in concert.  Yeah, I am too excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment