Sunday 27 May 2012

Smash The Control Machine - Otep

I'm exhausted!  Completely exhausted!  Not only was I up until three last night, I also was on my feet all afternoon serving lunch and cleaning up at my sister's school, and then we went swimming after!  What is this?  Then again, the allergy pill I took this morning probably didn't help, but I digress.  I've got copious amounts of iced tea and some alt-metal courtesy of one of my personal heroes and quite possibly the most rocking woman in the industry today: Otep.  Her name also refers to the band she leads through singles such as the wake-you-up-shake-you-up "Smash The Control Machine."

"Smash The Control Machine" is Debbie Harry's rebellious younger sister meets System of a Down's lyrics meets Slipknot's instrumentals...and it's a masterpiece of alternative metal.  Otep explores capitalism and commercialization here (then they outsourced my job and gave a raise to my boss, and bailed out the banks but billed me for the loss), and the need to do the titular smashing of the machine that controls us all.  Otep Shamaya is brilliant; I've had a girl crush on this woman since she appeared in Seventeen magazine in the early 2000's.  I proudly wear a black t-shirt with Otep across the chest and smash the control machine written at the bottom.  What are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment