Thursday 18 October 2012

Melissa Auf Der Maur - 1000 Years

About two weeks ago I had a pretty impressive haul of CDs from Value Village.  One, Melissa Auf Der Maur's Out of  Our Minds.  Then there was Nirvana's Unplugged in New York, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by the Smashing Pumpkins and the soundtrack to Get Rich or Die Tryin', but we'll get to those later.  Now to Ms. Auf Der Maur.  If I could have it my way, I would feature her stellar "Followed The Waves," but part of writing this blog is challenging myself.  Out of Our Minds is an okay album, but it's my job to point out the hidden gems.  Believe it or not, people won't go looking for buried treasure unless you tell them to.

"1000 Years" is the final track of the album, and there's something different about it.  Could it be the guitar work, the artistic lyrics, or Melissa's vocals?  By god, it's all three.  The atmosphere I get from "1000 Years" is a gypsy party in the desert underneath the Milky Way, with some elements of psych and seventies hippie rock.  Do I still have you?  Good.  There's a certain emotion in the line we've been singing the same song for over 1000 years that pulls it all together.  I give Melissa my props; it takes a special something to tell an intricate story with music.  And in my book, storytelling wins every time.

Before Adam, before Eve
The lizards sang this melody
Now it's twisted and it's torn
By felines and all you bores

No comments:

Post a Comment