Tuesday 23 October 2012

The Smashing Pumpkins - Lily (My One and Only)

I'm having a good day.  A damn good day.  I should be featuring a song that's full of sweltering guitar riffs and everything else up-tempo, but I must relax.  Meditate, even.  I usually do abide by a lineup I've set up, and if I don't get to The Smashing Pumpkins, I'm not sure that I ever will.  So here it is.  You remember my post from last week about my epic trip to Value Village, right?  Good.  I finally got Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness in the old-school double CD package and am nothing less than thrilled about it.  Though I've always been drawn to their grittiest songs, it's the somber and ever-so lovely "Lily (My One and Only)" that speaks to me the loudest.

I'll give Billy Corgan some props.  If you can go from "Lily" to "The Everlasting Gaze" and back again, then you've truly mastered the art of music.  Yes, that's a piano you hear, along with a few other instruments not typical in an alternative rock band.  And the vocals?  Oh, the vocals.  They make "Lily" a soft and beautiful love song.  After all, she is my one and only.

No comments:

Post a Comment