Saturday 6 October 2012

Acid Bath - Venus Blue

NOLA metal Saturdays?  I can dig it.  Let's look at some underground stoner sludge from the Big Easy then, in the form of the long-defunct Acid Bath.  I'm a fan of the name, for starters, if you've ever come across the sci-fi short of the same title yourself.  But to the music now, because that's what we're all here for.  Acid Bath has a distinct sound...I'm thinking Live meets Tool infused with a hefty dose of doom.  I only throw Live into the mix because I intend to blog about them tomorrow and have been listening to them quite a bit, but enough of getting sidetracked.  Last year I got my hands on "Venus Blue" via Freegal, and it's been simmering on the backburner since, ready to make its triumphant debut.  Blame the stoner metal kick I started.

"Venus Blue" blends the beautiful and the gritty into something wondrous.  Melody duels with growls, and sludge competes against doom.  It's a battle of epic proportions, leaving "Venus Blue" surprisingly accessible.  I admit to not being a big grindcore or sludge fan, and don't get me started on doom, but I enjoy "Venus Blue."  You might too, but we won't know until we try.

No comments:

Post a Comment