Friday 12 October 2012

Fleet Foxes - The Shrine / An Argument

We've made it!  It took a little less than a year and a half, but we finally made it to the awesome 400-post mark.  Perhaps not as awesome as 500 posts will be, but we'll have to see, won't we?  Every hundred posts, I make a point of sharing an epic.  Joining the ranks of "Small Boxes" and "We Are Young" (as well as a good Top 10 list) is an eight minute masterpiece from Fleet Foxes.  They've been riding a kick with me lately, so sue me.

I got "The Shrine / An Argument" when my sister gave me a $15 itunes card for my birthday this summer.  Of course, I used to to support my favourite folk band.  There's just something about the way they go about things that is utterly beautiful.  Lead Robin Pecknold's voice is one that I wouldn't mind putting on repeat for the year.  My favourite line of his?  I'm not one to ever pray for mercy, or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine.  He makes this a folk epic.  Then there's the sweeping acoustic guitars, the vocal harmonies, the cacophony of instruments at the end.  Brilliance.  There is no other way to do folk, people.  As long as the acoustic guitar never stops sounding this good, then I'll keep on listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment