Friday 8 November 2013

Alison Krauss & Union Station - If I Didn't Know Any Better

I don't listen to much country, I'll admit, but I do hold that the country I do like is the best of the best.  Carrie Underwood is the queen, obviously, but I've had a soft spot for Alison Kruass ever since I heard of her collab with Robert Plant years ago.  She does her own stuff too, obviously, though on the album Lonely Runs Both Ways (which is awesome, by the way), she works with Union Station, which is kind of her backing band, and also her original band.  It's more a bluegrass album, but I take what I can get.

"If I Didn't Know Any Better" is good because it's not the kind of country music that's too overpowering.  It must be the bluegrass that runs through the acoustic guitar work.  Alison Krauss is brilliant, obviously, and her vocal work here is as amazing as it's always been.  The instrumental work really brings it to the next level here.  This isn't your mother's country, let me tell you that.  The flow of the music is simply stunning, and it all just sounds so sweet and sad at the same time.  If I didn't know any better, it doesn't get much better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment