Thursday 21 November 2013

Diane Birch - Nothing But A Miracle

Noisetrade has become my new Rcrd Lbl.  Rcrd Lbl and I had a lot of fun together, I know, but now it's finally time to move on.  Especially now that I'm suspended from making a Youtube account (copyright infringement my ass!), I've got to find new music somehow.  Noisetrade pointed me in the direction of Diane Birch, a.k.a. the reincarnate of Carole King, an American indie darling whose sophomore album, Speak A Little Louder, came out not too long ago.  I got the sampler from Noisetrade, and was surprised.  Diane has the modern punch that you can get from artists like Florence Welch or Adele, but the seventies charm that came from Ms. King and the likes of Stevie Nicks.

"Nothing But A Miracle" is a sunny and soulful track that makes you want to fling open your curtains first thing in the morning, and welcoming the day.  It's empowering too, about saying the final goodbye to a scorned love, and getting yourself back together in one shiny piece.  Diane's vocals are phenomenal, first of all, and don't even get me started on the instrumentals here.  There's the piano, some lazy electric guitar (my favourite kind of electric guitar), and some kind of woodwind instrument that makes it feel like you're listening to "Nothing But A Miracle" in a quiet jazz club.  I wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment