Monday 18 November 2013

Gin Wigmore - Black Sheep

I've been listening to a lot of swampy-sounding tunes as of late, thanks to a playlist called "Swamp Witch" that I found on Tumblr a few weeks ago.  Swampy music is a little folk, a little country, heavy on the piano and the tambourine, and has a grungy feeling to it, like when you rub dirt between your fingers and feel the grit.  God, I love that grit.  Someone that I am now aware of with her gritty music is Gin Wigmore, an Australian chanteuse who I can compare to Adele or Duffy, if you threw one of them into a ditch.  I mean that in the best way possible, of course.

"Black Sheep" is an empowering gritty little thing, summed up by the one line everybody's doing it so why the hell should I?  It's the kind of song that could be your soundtrack to walking down the street, wearing a shrunken leather jacket and a swagger in your step that you weren't sure existed before.  It's alternative with a heavy jazz influence, in proper terms.  Listen closely, and you can even heard the Australian accent to her voice.  Australian alternative Duffy, I call it.  Now get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment