Friday 22 November 2013

Taylor Swift - Red

I tried to hold out for as long as I could, but eventually I gave in and copied my sister's Red onto my computer.  In the past I haven't minded Taylor Swift.  Markedly, I would only like one song here or another song there, and never get too far in.  Red is actually a pretty nice album as a whole, but also as one unit, it's not as country as I'd like it to be.  The pop outweighs it in some respects and overwhelms it in others.  In fact, my favourite songs off the album are the ones that have a little more of a country kick to it.  Like the song of the same name, "Red."

Loving him was red.

"Red" is grown-up country for Miss Swift.  It has the acoustic guitar and the violin/fiddle accents and sweet lyrics, but there's still a touch of edge to it.  This isn't at all what she was doing back in her early recording days.  She's grown up, people, and I like what it's become.  In fact, "Red" and another country-tinged song, "State of Grace" are her vocally strongest tracks off the album.  Lyrically, it's Taylor's bread and butter of scorned love, but this one has a tinge of hope to it, which sets it apart from things like "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" or "I Knew You Were Trouble."  I hope to see more of things like "Red" on her next album, please and thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment