Wednesday 20 November 2013

Kanye West - Jesus Walks

It's only been about a month since the last Kanye song...not bad.  This could have come earlier.  I love nostalgia kicks, and no Kanye song gives me more nostalgia than "Jesus Walks."  I still remember first hearing it in 2004, the first track of his that I ever heard, and wondering what the hell was going on.  It was an enlightening experience, and one that I had only gotten out of the rap genre through Swollen Members before.  2004 was a good year for music.  "Jesus Walks" pulses with something gritty and southern, but also has some refinement to it too.  This is where I realized that Mr. West wasn't a typical, run-of-the-mill rapper.  He was doing things differently even on his first album.  Obviously, "Jesus Walks" has some strong religious elements to it, but it's never preachy, if you're worried, and even then, this track is more about Kanye's despair and desire to get back on the right path.  That's deep, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment