Sunday 24 November 2013

Charlie and the Foxtrots - Mademoiselle

I can't seem to shake my folk kick, apparently.  Then again, why would I want to stop now?  There always seems to be someone new popping up in the genre, or simply groups that have had yet to breakthrough to the masses.  Case in point: Charlie and the Foxtrots.  They're a six-piece folk-pop collective from Nashville, and when you're from a place like that, you better believe some country elements bleed through.  It's nice, not overpowering, and in no way makes it country.  We've still got folk here, folks.

"Mademoiselle" grew on my quickly, and by god, it's not going away anytime soon.  It's a soft and sweet folk ditty that I'm surprised hasn't been in a romantic comedy soundtrack yet, but don't let that scare you.  The instrumental work is brilliant, like a folk orchestra of sorts, and lead Chas Wilson is fresh and light.  I find that sometimes folk singers can all sounds the same, and he doesn't really strike me as being similar to anyone else now.  "Mademoiselle" starts out slow and delicate, and finishes with a quicker tempo and a bigger punch.  It's perfect, in my opinion, but that's just on me, the girl blogging at 7 o'clock who has to wait an hour for the food order to come in.  In the meantime?  Charlie and the Foxtrots, because there's more where "Mademoiselle" came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment