Saturday 2 November 2013

Florence + The Machine - Shake It Out

Well, I've done it again.  This 100 took a little longer to get through than the last, but my friends, this is the 700th post.  As the faithful readers know, every 100 posts is reserved for something that's especially brilliant.  You know, the forever-and-ever faves.  I knew this blog was missing something, as I sorted through my songs to find the perfect one for post number 700, and it wasn't long before I got it.  I haven't posted any Florence + The Machine!  I've been a fan for a while, though I count myself a very big fan of "Shake It Out," and the accompanying music video that may be one of the best music videos ever made.

All of these questions, such a mournful sound, tonight I'm going to bury that horse in the ground.

"Shake It Out" runs deep with lyrical genius, unique instrumental work, and power and emotion that only Florence Welch can pull off.  She sounds better singing here than she does in anything else, I'll promise you that.The song also oozes with this nice lush and opulent feeling (reinforced by the video, but listen to the song by itself first) that makes "Shake It Out" something like Lana Del Rey crossed with Sarah McLachlan and a dash of Fiona Apple.  That being said, it's still all on Flo.  She is going to be the artist we look back on in 20 years, and remember the way we do the likes of Carole King, Stevie Nicks, and all those folk-rock queens.  I dare you to listen to this and don't fall in love.  Triple dog dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment