Sunday 3 November 2013

Meshuggah - Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion

I think the defining moment I had a metalhead was when I found out Meshuggah was an "extreme metal" band, and I was confused because they didn't really sound that extreme to me.  I suppose I've been desensitized to this kind of thing, after ten years of headbanging my life away.  Also, "Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion" is really where I started with Meshuggah, and I'm only now getting into more of their work, so maybe the most extreme stuff is still out there, waiting for me to uncover.  I'll keep you posted on that, you can be sure.  Meshuggah, to me, is for the most metal of the metalheads.  Casual listeners beware, this will either infect your soul in a good or bad way.

"Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion" is a dark and heavy little thing, and kind of reminds me of Amon Amarth, but less folk and even more death.  The instrumental work may sound innocent enough upon first listen, but the darkness really lies in Jens Kidman's impressive growling work.  Now that is one of best growls in the metal genre, believe me.  I didn't know if I would like Meshuggah before this, but "Break Those Bones..." pleasantly surprised me.  Now I've got to see what else Koloss has to offer me.  So I've gone from punk, to metalcore, to post-hardcore, to experimental, to folk, to death, and now extreme.  I'll stay here for a while and see what's going on, but I'm more intrigued by where metal will take me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment