Thursday 7 November 2013

Tool - Stinkfist

If this blog needs anything, it's definitely more Tool.  I got 10,000 Days when it came out back in 2006 (flashback alert), and was mostly in a neutral fan zone.  That was until my brother's friend sent all of her CDs over to me to borrow, and Lateralus, Undertow and Ænima came my way.  Funny thing, now I've got the whole discography, and I love it.  Their old stuff is even better than "Vicarious" and "The Pot."  From the latter of the albums listed comes today's selection, and boy, is it a doozy.  Don't be intimidated by Tool, this is the band for cool kids.

"Stinkfist" may conjure a crude image, but lead Maynard James Keenan has said that this one is about "choosing compassion over fear," and not necessarily taking a hand up the butt (sorry, mom!).  Keeping this in mind, the lyrical content can take on something crude....and I thought upon first listen that this was a sweet love song!  Oh god, I love being proven wrong.  As long as you're not squeamish, you'll get into it.  Some people online have found their own interpretations, and some of them make sense, so I'll leave the grand scheme of things up to you, the listener here.  Lyrics aside, I like the quiet vocals on the verses and power-hungry singing on the chorus, and the guitar work of early Tool makes me wish more and more that they hurry up and finish their fifth album already.  If there's anything like "Stinkfist" on the new album, I'll be a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment