Wednesday 12 June 2013

G-Side feat. S.L.A.S.H. - Came Up

Just as I have a special place in my heart for rap that can effectively utilize a string instrument, I have a special place in my heart for G-Side.  ST 2 Lettaz and Yung Clova have been on my radar for a while, and this is a rap group that you're going to be sorry you didn't know before.  Think of them as Alabama's answer to Swollen Members.  They give their rhymes a good southern flavor, but there's something hauntingly beautiful about "Came Up."  It's a little melancholy with the violin yawning in the background, but we should all know by now that melancholy rap is my kind of rap.  The violin half-makes "Came Up," but the rest is all on the boys from Alabama, with a little help from a rapper called S.L.A.S.H.  They never overdo it; everything is just as it should be, and that's what gives the song its beauty.  Yes, people, rap can be beautiful, and this is your biggest piece of evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment