Thursday 27 June 2013

Om - Haqq al-Yaqin

My go-to guy for long epics from the metal genre is my brother.  Give him a request for something long and guitar-filled, and he'll find you something strange.  It can be hit-or-miss, but sometimes what he sends my way is good.  Like this.  Om is an experimental metal group from San Fran, and though "Haqq al-Yaqin" isn't terribly metal sounding, I hear some doom elements that make me very happy.  Clocking in at about eleven and a half minutes, this epic sounds like Tool and Opeth jamming together on a rainy day.  It's a very atmospheric track, with interesting instrumentals and spooky vocals.  It belongs in some kind of psychological thriller from Mr. King.  I've read up a bit on the album it comes from, 2011's Advaitic Songs, and which fans of Om may not have liked it too much, if the rest of it sounds like this, then my evening is going to go pretty well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment