Wednesday 26 March 2014

Arch Enemy - War Eternal

Let's finish a week's worth of metal by talking about some big news in the metal world right now.  Alissa White-Gluz, former lead singer of The Agonist, has replaced Angela Gossow as lead singer of Arch Enemy.  Wait...what?  What!?  I only found this out a few days ago, and I'm still shocked.  Angela is remaining with the band as the business manager, but The Agonist has got themselves a new lead that I'll have to check out soon too.  I'll admit to being wary at the announcement, because this was going to turn into a death metal version of Tarja vs. Anette.  Alissa is good, but taking over Arch Enemy is quite the task.  Then "War Eternal" came out...and I was proven wrong.

"War Eternal" isn't the Arch Enemy I'm familiar with, but something a little more melodic, and more suited to Alissa.  Then again, it's only one song, so who knows what the new album is going to give us.  I like the fast-paced guitar work, personally, because it makes the whole thing catchy.  And if there's one thing I like in a melodic metal song, it's that it needs to be infectious.  At the helm, Alissa's growling is still wonderful, but now it's a little more refined, showing that our Canadian metal princess is all grown up and ready to take on the world.  I look forward to seeing how Arch Enemy shapes her, and how she shapes Arch Enemy.  "War Eternal" is proof that though some shoes may be intimidating to fill, there's nothing wrong with growing into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment