Wednesday 5 March 2014

Rev. Lonnie Farris - Peace in the Valley

Let's do something a little different today...again.  Gospel and religious music isn't something I really listen to a lot, mostly because I'm not personally very religious and have trouble relating to the message.  I enjoy Flyleaf, so I'll say that.  "Peace in the Valley" came to me through Rcrd Lbl, and it is originally part of a 3-disc collection that goes by This May Be My Last Time Singing: Raw African-American Gospel on 45RPM, 1957-1982.  I have a few songs from this collection, but Lonnie Farris's "Peace In The Valley" isn't just your typical gospel.  It might be that lovely-and-lazy electric guitar, or the percussion that makes you just want to sway, or maybe even Lonnie's smokey-yet-subdued vocals.  It's gospel for the minimalist atheists inside all of us, though there is a religious message here, of course.  I just take the lyrical content as part of the simple beauty of "Peace In The Valley," and that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment