Monday 24 March 2014

Arkona - Odna

It's been a long time since I've had any Arkona around here.  Too long, if you must know.  So when "Odna" (in English: "Alone" came on my ipod a few weeks ago, I had the strong urge to get back to my folk metal roots, and share it with the world.  It's off of 2011's Slovo, probably my favourite Arkona album, but Yav will be out in April, so we'll have to worry about that when it comes times.  What "Odna" has, though, is what I enjoyed the most from the album, and it's the traditional pagan sound that melds with lovely folk metal.  You get the bells and whistles (literally), along with a great guitar arrangement and Masha's vocals (clean and growling, it's all good).  Need I say more?  Well, I'll go on for a little bit longer.  "Odna" is mysterious, especially with the whistle-featured bridge in the latter half of the track, and it really transports you to the wilderness of Russia, where metal guitars just happen to make the story darker.  Yav can't get here fast enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment