Sunday 16 March 2014

Týr - Hear The Heathen Call

Týr is probably one of my best discoveries of this year so far.  Viking metal?  Always a bonus.  They don't growl too much, from what I've heard so far, Heri Joensen's vocals are still pure metal, and with Terji Skibenaes on guitar and Gunnar Thomsen on bass, this trio is complete.  They're actually from the Faroese Islands, which is a collection of Danish islands due north of Scotland (a place I've never heard of before, but am now very interested by).  Their last album, Valkyrja, came out in late 2013, but today's song comes from 2009's By The Light of the Northern Star.  And that, my friends, brings us too the song that I've been obsessed with for the last few weeks...

"Hear The Heathen Call" is good.  Why?  First off, it reminds me a little of Amon Amarth, though replace all the growls with clean vocals, and add a touch of doom.  Just a touch, but you'll hear it if you listen.  I also get a little Ensiferum coming through too, but Týr's brand of folk metal is still different.  It almost has a tribal, old-world sound to it, like they really are vikings.  It's different from what I've heard before, but I like it for that reason.  It's viking metal that may not sound quite right at first, but the more you listen, the more you realize this is the way it should be.  The bridge between verses and the chorus of "Hear The Heathen Call" is also hella powerful, and this summer, people may catch me blasting this in my dad's truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment