Tuesday 11 March 2014

Avatarium - Moonhorse

You know my rule about long songs: if you're going to push past six minutes, then it better be pretty damn epic.  For today's epic, I brought back Avatarium, my favourite European counterpart to the likes of Christian Mistress and Spacegoat, with a lovely symphonic-sounding element that will be nice for all you Nightwish fans out there (I know you read my blog...someone is).  "Moonhorse" is about nine minutes long, and this track is all about the contrast.  On one hand, you have the whimsy of a young dreamer, wondering if horses prance around on the moon, but then you have the gritty and heavy guitar work and some darker lyrical business that makes the story seem that not everything is how you see it.  Then, just when you think it's going to get even heavier, we get back to that soft whimsy, complimented by Jennie-Ann Smith's lovely singing.  "Moonhorse" is a trip, believe me, but one well worth taking.

)

No comments:

Post a Comment