Saturday 29 March 2014

Dice Raw - Never Be A Gangsta

I'm a Dice Raw fan, though I think that's a given here, so I was surprised to have missed out on Jimmy's Back until now.  It came out last August, and centered around themes of incarceration and jail time, it's good.  Real good.  The Greatest Rapper Never Vol. 1 was good too, don't get me wrong, but there's something different about this album.  It has a different charm to it, and has a bit more grit, while still retaining the minimal-no-theatrics feel that'll reel you in and keep you there.  Today it was either going to be "Run Away" or "Never Be A Gangsta," so I guess you'll be waiting to see what I have to say about "Run Away."

"Never Be A Gangsta" is deceivingly simple, but overwhelmingly wonderful.  The big percussion beats of the background, spoken word overlay about the prison system, and the chorus's hook of what's a boy to do if I'll never be a gangster are the perfect compliment to Dice's slick rhymes.  In the rap genre, there's definitely merit in keeping things simple and staying true to the music.  Dice Raw proves that you don't need to go over-the-top to achieve greatness.  "Never Be A Gangsta" is cool, catchy, and just has something special that keeps you coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment