Sunday 2 March 2014

Snovonne - Things I Can't See

I wasn't sure about Snovonne at first, but now that I've toured through a lot of her work, it's grown on me, and I can say that I haven't found anything I don't like yet.  Her genre is a strange one, which is why I was unsure, but there's actually something infectious about "modern theatrical rock" with a hit of progressive metal that works.  Slovakian-American Snovonne sounds like a cross of Anette-fronted Nightwish and 90's Alanis Morissette with a little bit of late-2000's Marina and the Diamonds.  Even saying that, her sound is all hers, and that's what makes songs like "Things I Can't See" perfection.

"Things I Can't See" is a percussion and piano heavy track that you'll be surprised to sway along with.  It's almost a little bit jazz-and-swing with these instrumentals, but it's not confusing.  In fact, it's quite lovely, and with a little more guitar it could work on a Nightwish album.  Snovonne's vocal work isn't the kind that'll knock you off your feet with power, but when it's paired with the music, it works, and it only adds to the atmosphere, never taking anything away.  If you don't like it at first, don't worry, because it'll grow on you before you can even tell what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment