Wednesday 19 March 2014

Dan Griffin - Stars and Satellites

I've got a week's worth of metal planned out after this, but we're going to bookend it with indie folk and Lady Gaga.  So first off, let's stick with the plan and look at Dan Griffin, who is actually from my neck of the south in the deep south of Canada.  Huh...I am literally just learning this now, and knowing that he's from Windsor has made him a thousand times cooler.  You learn something new every day, I suppose.  He's also a member of Arkells, a Canadian band that's like a modernized Trews, and I actually saw them open for Metric in 2010 too.  They're not my cup of tea, really, but on his own, Dan Griffin has me hook-line-and-sinker.

"Stars and Satellites" is a lovely acoustic piece that's bare bones and all emotion, and it's glorious.  It was the song of the week a while ago on Itunes, and with good reason.  This is just like what I was talking about the other day: there's beauty in simplicity, and Dan hits the nail on the head.  "Stars and Satellites" is raw, delicate and powerful all at the same time, and finding that balance with only an acoustic guitar can be a little difficult too.  He does it, and does it very well.

And I'm hoping that the stars and the satellites will bring me home to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment