Tuesday 25 March 2014

Nightwish - Amaranth

Here we are, folks.  Post number 800!  I try to do something especially special every hundredth post, and since we've been lacking a little Nightwish around here lately, I figured that we should kill two birds with one stones and look at the song that is perhaps my absolute favourite from the band (and the Anette era to boot!).  As much as they change the lead singer, Nightwish will always have a special place in my heart, and albums like Dark Passion Play are still on repeat in my library.  This was Anette showing the world that we'll be just fine without Tarja, and "Amaranth" just turned into a good ol' fuck you to the haters.

"Amaranth" is lovely symphonic metal, no question about that.  It's classic Nightwish, and everything is perfect (especially the keyboards, Tuomas), and Anette makes it even better.  This is probably the strongest vocally that she is on Dark Passion Play.  And the chorus?  Ugh.  I'm in love.  As it builds into a show-stopped end, it's equal parts mosh-worthy and beauty, and it is as catchy as hell too.  I have actually had "Amaranth" stuck in my head for three years, and what a good three years it's been.  Songs like this make me regret living in a part of the world where Nightwish rarely visits, especially now that Anette is out.  I hope this is stuck in my head for the next three years.

The video is also lovely and awesome too.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment