Saturday 15 March 2014

Indila - Dernière danse

French music is always surprising me, but sometimes you just know that it's going to be good.  It just sounds beautiful, and even you don't understand it, you can still kind of figure out what the artist was going for, and pick out all of the emotions and feelings.  Music transcends language boundaries, is what I like to say, and I listen to enough European metal to know that what I say is true.  Indila is the artist of the day today, and her debut album that I'll be looking into now is called Mini World.  "Dernière danse," or "Last Dance" was free on itunes a few weeks ago, and I think that I've been listening to it non-stop ever since.

"Dernière danse" is slick pop, but nothing too over-the-top.  With a piano and the string sections, and a voice like Indila's, you've got all you need.  She gives us soul and she gives us feeling, but it's wrapped up in a cleanly produced package that will be stuck in your head in no time.  Put this in English and change a few things around, and this would have worked in the early 2000's pop scene, but what "Dernière danse" is modern and very, very nice.  I don't think it would be the same in English, but I'm also intrigued to see how that would go.  I'll work on that, and you sit down and listen to this, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment