Saturday 1 March 2014

Blueprint - So Alive

Those indie days were fun, but now we need something different...something with some hip-hop-rap flavor.  Why don't I introduce you to another rapper you may not have heard of before?  Alright, let's do it.  Blueprint came my way a few years ago via Rcrd Lbl, and though today's song comes from 2011's Adventures in Counter Culture, the Columbus, Ohio artist has another album called Respect the Architect coming out in April.  Perfect, right?  Now I have something to look forward to during my exam period!  When you listen, you'll know why.

"So Alive" is a song that you may not be expecting, but it's something brilliant regardless of what you thought it'd be.  It's hip-hop with a healthy dose of swinging jazz and electric guitar, and I guarantee that it's friendly for everyone, even those who don't have a big thing for the rap genre.  Hell, it makes me want to dance.  Blueprint isn't rapping here as much as he's doing the in-between of singing and rapping (a little 808s-era Kanye, perhaps), but with beats this lively (fitting, really), it works.  Now that I know he's got a new album coming out, I've got to dig a little deeper to see what else he's been keeping from me, but in the meantime, you get on listening to "So Alive."  Even if hip-hop is the genre that you tell people is your exception (I've probably heard that 50 times...I listen to everything except rap), you'll still find merit in what Blueprint does with "So Alive."

No comments:

Post a Comment