Friday 17 January 2014

Alexisonfire - A Dagger Through The Heart Of St. Angeles

Alexisonfire may not be a band anymore, but recently their self-titled debut was remastered and the re-released on itunes.  I haven't really given the remastered tracks a look though, because I enjoy them enough in their original state.  Compared to their later work, particularly the last album Old Crows / Young Cardinals, the sound on the first album is very, very different.  It's definitely a more gritty version of post-hardcore, less radio-friendly if you have to ask (part of why I didn't really enjoy the last album, aside from it having little variety outside of "The Northern").  And you know what?  I like it.  It's the sound I fell in love with back in the eighth grade.

"A Dagger Through The Heart Of St. Angeles" is the track-of-the-day now (though I hope you remember me featuring ".44 Caliber Love Letter" ages ago).  Mr. Petit's back to screaming most of the song as he should be, and Dallas Green is there to add that haunting beauty I enjoyed so much in early-era Alexisonfire.  Don't forget about the instruments either.  The guitars and percussion are keeping up to George's pace, and are heavy while not being too heavy.  Everything is consistent in "A Dagger Through..."  Well, there is a nice and soft spot a little more than halfway through that starts off the haunting beauty part, and some spoken words give a really great atmosphere before an amazing finish.  Now, if you excuse me, I have some nostalgia to get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment