Thursday 9 January 2014

Katy Perry - Legendary Lovers

I've been keeping my eye on Katy Perry ever since "I Kissed a Girl" came out when I was in high school.  Yeah, her stuff is good, but most of it has simply fallen into the category of catchy pop songs I like, but cannot love.  Mind you, my heart may be mostly metal, but only the best of pop makes its way into my good graces.  I got my hands on Prism this past weekend, and was actually surprised by what I found.  The album definitely shows the growth Miss Perry has done since she first hit the music scene, and even though she may not be the gritty pin up she once was, I'm all for this incarnation of her.

"Legendary Lovers" stuck out to me from all of the other songs on Prism because of its sound.  With a worldbeat flavor, Katy gives us something no one expected before.  I can compare the sound of the track to something like Shakira meets Amy Lee, but it still has that Katy Perry feel to it.  The music?  Oh, the production is spot-on here.  Some criticize the lyrical content here, but I actually enjoy it, and I find that it matches the musical tone quite nicely.  Maybe Katy's next album should be worldbeat.  I'd buy it in a heartbeat after this one.

1 comment:

  1. I've had this song stuck in my head all day! It's one of my favourites off the album, too. :)

    ReplyDelete