Monday 27 January 2014

Brooke Waggoner - Perish

Nothing will stop me from blogging, not even shin splints.  Noisetrade had a few "Best of 2013" albums at the end of last year, and of course, I had to take a look.  I'm only human.  I found a lot of good stuff in that pile, which you'll see later, but the best of the best has to be Originator by Nashville indie darling Brooke Waggoner.  The whole album is really stunning, but the track that jumped out the most and grabbed me by the collar and shook me back and forth....it was "Perish."

"Perish" is a little quirky, you can definitely tell that with just one listen.  It's a piano-heavy indie track with flecks of pop, but it's not really like anything you've heard before.  Think Stars meets Fiona Apple with a little bit of She & Him.  You've got that mysterious indie and jazzy piano, and Brooke Waggoner's soft and sweet vocals to boot.  "Perish" has a peppy tone to it too, brought to life by that aforementioned piano, and even then, it's still like nothing else out there.  And the ending?  It's surprisingly haunting, quite the good contrast to the rest of the song.  I don't think I can do "Perish" justice, but I can shove pleasantries down your throat and hope for the best.  That'll have to do.

*Video not available, of course.  I'll work on it*

No comments:

Post a Comment