Monday 13 January 2014

Lana Del Rey - Bad Disease

At the end of 2013 I went kind of crazy getting my hands on everything Lana Del Rey made that I didn't have already, and in the process, I found Sirens, the acoustic album she recorded under the name May Jailer.  I don't think it's actually been confirmed that this is actually Lana, but it's widely assumed, so we're going to go with that for now.  Critics compare the sound of Sirens to Jewel's Pieces of You, which is a fair assessment, but what sets Lana apart from Jewel is that you're still getting the opulent-gangster-Nancy-Sinatra here, but with a more delicate approach and nothin' but an acoustic guitar.

"Bad Disease" is currently my favourite of the bunch, and it can be attributed to the line I've got a bad disease stuck in my head nearly all the time.  It may not be umtempo or scream catchy, but it's definitely the latter.  It's generally got that folky-delicate sound, but there are moments of power, and it really showcases Lana's vocal abilities, which you may not fully grasp from her newer work.  "Bad Disease" is sad, you get that from the lyrics where you just get a plea for help, but in this sadness is real beauty.  Should Lana ever go back to the acoustic world, I'd be quite the happy camper.

"Bad Disease" starts at 11:39.

No comments:

Post a Comment