Monday 6 January 2014

Periphery - Ragnarok

I may have gotten the new Katy Parry, Britney Spears and Lorde albums this past weekend, but my heart will always lie with metal.  Progressive metal rarely does wrong too, and with a subgenre name like that, there are few rules to be followed.  Periphery is the Maryland six-piece on the docket today, who I've known of over the years, but have't been motivated enough to get into them.  Now that I am: wow.  "Ragnarok" is off of the new album, Periphery II: This Time It's Personal, and with a track title like that, I expect very heavy and strong things.  I was not disappointed, believe me.

"Ragnarok" combined djent-fueled guitar work with a nice healthy mix of growling and clean vocals.  Everyone is happy here, and you better believe that they go in strong and finish just as powerfully.  Hell, the clean vocals might even have more power to them than the growling does in this case.  If djent has intimidated you in the past, "Ragnarok" is a good place to start before you get into the big guns with the likes of Meshuggah.  Now, time to get a little more into what Periphery has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment