Thursday 16 January 2014

Ingrid Michaelson - In The Sea

Let's continue along the lines of artists that I should have gotten into long ago.  Well, kind of.  I've had a few songs from Ingrid Michaelson in the past, but nothing that really leaped out at me and held on tight.  Until now!  "In The Sea" came my way through some Game of Thrones playlist I found on Tumblr somewhere, relating to the seafairing Ironmen.  Yeah, I'd say this one can get you to the sea pretty well.  Besides the lyrics about the saltwater sting and you drowned me in the sea, there's that heavy percussion beat that almost makes it seem like you're on a longship bobbing through the waves.  It's dark, it's gritty, and at the same time, it's pop.  Dark and gritty pop is my favourite kind of pop, and Ingrid does it well.  Vocally she's superb too, if you don't know already.  But while "In The Sea" has that aquatic feel, it's also about something else...perhaps scorned love?  That's what it seems like to me.  And then there's that delicate electric guitar plucking in the background....I'm in love with "In The Sea."  That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment