Tuesday 7 January 2014

Kanye West - Bound 2

I'm a little bit behind on the "Bound 2" wagon, but this was supposed to be up weeks ago, mind you.  That long break I took over the holidays wasn't planned, but no need to worry, we have our Kanye now.  The consensus with most people I know is that they hate Kanye, mostly for who he is as a person.  Is he the most modest star in the sky?  No, but he knows what he wants and I commend him for getting to the place he is now, while continually putting out fantastic music.

Strictly speaking about "Bound 2" as a song, and not a music video, there's nothing here to complain about.  Kanye has managed to do what most rappers can't do (in my opinion, at least).  Boiled down, "Bound 2" is a sweet love song with sampling done perfectly.  It's a lot, sure, but it all belongs here.  I find rap songs about love can either be too aggressive or too soft, but Kanye has the best of both worlds, and (without thinking of the music video) there is nothing too much about "Bound 2."  Now, when you do bring the video into the mix, things get a little campy and over the top, but hey, it got people talking, didn't it?  I've said before that as long as Kanye is making music, I'll be buying it, and unless he really takes a dive into the deep end, what he does in his personal life won't change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment