Wednesday 8 January 2014

Woodkid - Iron

Woodkid, a.k.a Yoann Lemoine, is someone I should have been getting into a long time ago, so I'm not struggling to keep up now.  He directed the goddamn "Born To Die" video for Lana, people!  When he's not directing videos for other people like Katy Perry and T. Swift, he's creating neofolk music under the name Woodkid, and by god, is he good.  I've probably heard "Iron" fifty times before getting it in my library and actually giving it a good listen, and now that I know the truth, why did I waste all this time getting here?

"Iron" is a cross between folk, baroque, experimental and even a little indie-alt, if I do say so myself.  It's got a little something for everyone.  There's orchestral sections, background organs, and percussion that could pound any competitors into the ground.  With instrumentals this strong, the vocal work has to be pretty high up there, but never fear!  Mr. Lemoine takes a more minimal approach to his singing here in "Iron," but it's hella effective.  He's the foil to the strong music with that voice made for folk.  Simply put, "Iron" is a piece of art, one that's worth having in your own collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment