Wednesday 29 January 2014

Stone Sour - Taciturn

Over the Christmas break, I made a stop at HMV since I had a gift card that needed to be spent.  I went right to the metal section, and browsed for a long time before getting stuck on three CDs: Amon Amarth's Deceiver of the Gods, Meshuggah's Koloss, and Stone Sour's House of Gold And Bones Part 1.  They were all 2 for $20, and I wasn't in the mood to buy all three or spend more money buying a fourth, so I had to decide.  I knew that I had to get the Stone Sour album, though, for my sheer allegiance to Corey Taylor and Slipknot (also...they're working on a new album), so you'll see which of the other two I picked sometime soon.  But that's the story of how I got the album, and why we're looking at "Taciturn" today.

The album is pretty strong as a whole, stronger than Come What(ever) May, but the song I found myself drawn to wasn't the gritty alternative metal tracks, but the softer side (though not too soft, don't get me wrong).  "Taciturn" reminds me of those slower acoustic tracks that Slipknot would put out now and again, but it's still different from that.  This is how Stone Sour does acoustic.  Corey Taylor is phenomenal, as usual, and the acoustic guitar slowly builds into something quite a bit more powerful.  "Taciturn" is so raw and chock-full of emotions...it's just simply amazing.  Now I've got to get House of Gold and Bones Part 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment