Monday 20 January 2014

Billie Holiday - Good Morning Heartache

This blog may not have an outrageous number of "old" songs, but I do like to dip into a time long ago when a certain something speaks to me.  I have a bit of Billie Holiday over here because there was a 2-disc greatest hits set of hers one day at Value Village.  "Strange Fruit" is my go-to from her, but today I want to do something a little different, because by God, this woman has quite the collection of music to choose from.  "Good Morning Heartache" came on my ipod one afternoon, and it wasn't long before I knew that this would be the one.  It's just a lovely smooth jazz number with Billie's sweet-and-stick vocals and that soft brass and woodwind section behind her that make this a masterpiece.  Jazz and heartache are the formula for success, but with the bit of magic that comes from Billie Holiday simply being herself, "Good Morning Heartache" has something a little more special to it than everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment