Friday 24 January 2014

Lorde - Million Dollar Bills + Ribs

I kind of went through a point in my life this past year where I thought Lorde was overrated and out to get my girl Lana.  I know, I know...it was a dark time for us all.  I still think that people need to give it up with "Royals" already (remember when I featured it before it got popular??), and take a look at the rest of Pure Heroine.  I gave Lorde the benefit of the doubt and went looking for gems...and boy, would you look at what I unearthed!

"Million Dollar Bills" is off of the extended version of the album, if you're wondering which bag of tricks I pulled this one out of.  Personally, I enjoy the pacing and the up-tempo feel of the track, and the little bit of a throwback that Lorde does to 90's hip-hop.  "Million Dollar Bills" also had a bit of a wondrous-and-magical-Katy-Perry element to it, which you can never argue with.  Overall, it's fun track, and remixed, I see it being big in the clubs.

"Ribs" is something a little different, more akin to "Royals," and follows Lorde's struggles with getting older and facing grown-up problems.  Right now she's only seventeen, so honey, there are a lot of grown-up problems coming your way, but there's nothing too cliche about "Ribs" at the same time.  It begins with a swelling ambient section, and when the vocals begin, you still get that ambient feeling to the track.  That's what I enjoy the most, and "Ribs" is probably my favourite track from the whole album.  Also remixed, this would be a good one for me to work out to.  What I'm the most interested in now is what Lorde is going to next, and if her music goes where I hope it will, we've got nothing but smooth sailing ahead, boys.  And if she stays away from Lana, all the better.



No comments:

Post a Comment