Sunday 5 January 2014

HAIM - My Song 5

I'm currently obsessing over HAIM, but you guys should have seen that coming by now.  Days Are Gone is awesome and brilliant, the Haim sisters are lovely and I want to be them all...this was bound to happen.  I'm still leery of following what everyone else is saying and comparing them too much to Fleetwood Mac.  Really, they're their own thing, and why boil it down to comparisons when we don't have to?  As long as they keep making stuff as awesome as "My Song 5," I'll be happy.

"My Song 5" is grittier than my other fave "The Wire," but follows the same dark-sort-of-breakup-bit storyline as that song.  The lyrics go he's in her heart on the floor, thinking that I'll never know and I'll be up going through crazy shit I did for you with honey, honey I am never coming home again.  I think we know what's going on here, but HAIM doesn't do that typical scorned-lover ditty.  They use their charm and genre-blending masterful abilities to weave a gritty, percussion-and-bass heavy indie-alt track that makes you believe again.  Oh darling, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment